We think of the loss of memory or the inability to recognize familiar faces, places, and things that comes with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias, but for caregivers, the challenge is often coping with the other behaviors common in dementia.
The list of common behaviors:
Paranoia - A disorder, in which the person becomes overly suspicious of others and, convinced that other people have intent to harm; theme is usually a financial matter or unfaithful spouse.
Sundowning - A condition in which older persons tend to become more restless and/or confused later in the day, especially late afternoon or at dusk.
Wandering - Aimless movement, often it is an effort to get to some specific place such as a childhood home that no longer exists.
Wayfinding :- Searching for something that may or may not be found in the residence.
Learning how to communicate calmly and clearly, as well as to introduce activities and hobbies that have been shown to be amongst the best treatment options used by caregivers. In our program, Alzheimer's Disease Level 1 & 2, we explain the following content:
1. How the brain works and how AD affects the brain.
2. How memory loss from AD and other related disorders differ from normal aging.
3. Other neurological diseases/conditions that can cause dementia.
4. Conditions or disorders that may result in symptoms that mimic AD.
5. How AD is diagnosed. Causes, cures, and research overview.
6. Stages of AD.
7. Symptoms and behaviors associated with each stage.
8. Challenges for caregivers at each stage.
9. How AD affects communication skills.
10. Strategies and guidelines for verbal/nonverbal communication.
11. Validation therapy.
Alzheimer's disease is the sixth leading cause of death in this country. The Alzheimer's Association estimates that by 2050, nearly 16 million Americans will have Alzheimer's disease. With numbers as large as these our caregivers must be informed on how to communicate effectively with this growing population to ensure a meaningful and respectful plan of care. At Nevco, we continue to improve the quality of life through our education and offer new programs for all your learning needs.